Thursday, December 11, 2008

Weeknight Frittata


I used a vacation day today, but I had quite a bit of Christmas shopping and preparation to take care of. I also took the dogs in for their Christmas grooming. They look so pretty today, and smell good too.


Anyway, by the time I got home I didn't feel much like cooking and I was starving. I was supposed to meet some girls out for drinks, but I was still in jeans and a baseball cap, and the place they were headed to doesn't allow the casual look. I'd have had to do too much work in too little time to make it.


Frittata does take 45 minutes or so to bake at 350 degrees, but it's worth a little wait, and the prep work only takes a few minutes. I prehated my oven, and then cooked some turkey breakfast sausage (the bulk kind) into smallish crumbles in a pan on the stove. As they cooked and cooled a little, I broke 8 eggs into a large bowl, added about 1/2 c. of half and half (that's what I had in the house besides skim), and then whisked the eggs well. I then added to the mixture about 1/2 c. parmesan cheese...the shaker kind, and about 1 c. of shredded mozzarella. I then added the slightly cooled turkey sausage crumbles and mixed them in gently.


I coated a Pyrex casserole with butter flavor Crisco spray and then poured the egg mixture into the casserole and topped it with about 1/2 c. of shredded mild cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of fennel seed for a kiss of Italian flavor.


I baked the casserole until it was golden brown on the bottom and slightly golden brown on top. A tooth pick came out clean, if you have to test it for doneness.


I also made a side of skillet potatoes and some Grands biscuits for two. I ate 1 and a half. The frittata was light and tasty.


I have another frittata recipe that is much heavier with way more cheese, and ricotta, making it so dense that SP doesn't really like it that much. I think he'll like this one much better. I'm going to portion it out in containers and take some to him when I visit this weekend. It makes enough for six very large servings, or eight smaller servings, and it freezes if you must. Oh, and it's a cheap way to feed four to six people breakfast or brunch, if you add a little bit of fruit or potatoes or biscuits or whatever you like to it. I like breakfast for dinner sometimes.


No comments: