Thursday, December 18, 2008

Falafel

Tonight I had a craving for Middle Eastern or Greek food. I know, some people probably get upset when I lump the two together, but Falafel is a food that many cultures eat. It's ground chickpeas made into a wet meal that is then formed into balls and fried in oil. The balls are then arranged in a warm pita with some romaine or other leafy green lettuce, and a yogurt sauce, perhaps with a little tomato or feta.

I used Fantastic World Foods falafel mix. I always do. I haven't ever made my own falafel from scratch, but I should. I think I'll look up a recipe and see that it's easy, and then wonder why I use a boxed mix. But the boxed mix is perfectly seasoned and holds together with just the right texture. You mix 1 c. of chickpea meal together with 1/2 c. water and let it stand for ten minutes to absorb. Then you form balls and fry them in 350 to 375 degree heated oil. I used canola.

I made tzatziki sauce from scratch, though. I bought strained Greek yogurt in a single serving size container and scooped that into a bowl. I peeled and seeded half a cucumber, and grated it finely, then added it to the yogurt. To that, I added about 4 cloves of crushed garlic, some garlic seasoning, salt, pepper, dill, juice of half a lemon and a drizzle of olive oil. It is to die for, but your breath will be to die from! Gargle after, fo sho!

I diced the other half of the seeded and peeled cucumber and added the juice from the other half of the lemon, a drizzle of olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and a dash of dill.

My ensemble came together nicely with some feta and an Italian lettuce blend. Kalamata olives would have been devine, but I ate them all and didn't buy more tonight. I also would have loved a little pan sauteed tomato in my pita, but I was out of tomato as well.

The falafel was perfectly done and the tzatziki was delicious on top. I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow, while I watch 13 inches of snow fall and try to work from home. Opa!

No comments: