Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Jose's Blue Sombrero - Racine

We love Mexican food. There, I said it. We eat it a lot. Jose's is the best we've fond in our area. I know some of you may disagree, but I would hold firm on this. I once worked at Cactus Cantina in Washington, D.C. and to this day it is my favorite Mexican food EVER, but Jose's is as close as I've come around here...

SP fell in love with Jose's after I took him there, and we've been returning ever since.

We went to Jose's on Friday night. We got there relatively early, so we were seated right away. This place is always PACKED, Racine or Brookfield. Be prepared to wait, or call ahead and put your name on the list. It's worth the wait 98% of the time. We've gone and had bad service in Racine, but there are only two bad waitresses and I don't know their names. I just know when I see them coming that it's going to be a long night, and I hope the food is especially good to make up for it.

On Friday, Brenda waited on us. She was fan-tastic! I mean she was on top of it, not just with us, but with all of her tables. We were in and out in 40 minutes and the food was superb. Brenda immediately brought our sodas, then brought our margaritas when the bar was done making them. Most of their servers bring all drinks at once, so you sit there and eat chips and salsa dying for your diet soda. Not Brenda. She brought prompt refills and asked if we wanted more margaritas before they were gone. She took our order when she brought our first round, and our food came up quick. It obviously came to our table the minute it hit the lamps in the kitchen, so it was fresh. The refried beans didn't get a chance to crack. They were still steaming. And our tacos were not soggy, we could still pick them up and eat them without a mess.

I had a tamale with my taco. Jose's has the best tamales I've ever had. My cousin is married to a Mexican man and learned to make homemade tamales from her mother-in-law, and these are better than hers. Get the green sauce, it's better. They tell you it's spicy, but it's not.

SP had two tacos and a beef enchilada. I never had a beef enchilada, so I tried his this time. It was tasty. The red sauce, it turns out, is good too. So either way...go for it.

The margaritas were spot on as well, so the entire restaurant gets an A+ for Friday night! We made a point to tell the manager how good everything was when we left, as a few gentlemen (not) came through the door and let it slam in my face. What's with you guys? Hold the door for a lady, and just for anyone. My dad taught me that when I was four and let a door close behind me on an older woman. It's rude.

Ok, off my soapbox now.

Go to Jose's. It's very good, and they have some happy hour deal where they serve a taco bar for free along with discounted drinks. It's not just tacos and tamales, either, they have more authentic dishes and more up to date items such as black bean and shrimp enchiladas, and even a burger if you have someone with you who hates tortillas.

No comments: