Thursday, December 4, 2008

Quickie Salmon with Orzo in a Lemon Butter Caper Sauce







This recipe is simple and delicious. It tastes expensive too, but it's not pricey. I used flash frozen salmon, because I only buy fresh salmon once in a while. (My freezer is full of meat, fish, veggies, ice cream and the rare french fry bag for late night salt cravings. It's ok to freeze your meats.) SP isn't a fan of salmon, so I make the same recipe with talapia for him. You can also substitute mahi mahi or something else you like. I bet it would be good with shrimp.
I took my piece of salmon out of the freezer before work and put it in the frig to thaw. When I got home, I zested a lemon, finely chopped the zest and put it in a very small sauce pan. Then I juiced my lemon in my nifty antique reemer, and poured the juice in the pan. To the pan, I added a shallot finely chopped, no I didn't, actually I substituted a small piece of a sweet onion I had on hand because I'm fresh out of shallots. It works, but I prefer the shallot for guests because it has a much more delicate flavor. Finally, I added a few splashes of Orvieto, a crisp and perfumy Italian white wine I fell in love with at Quartino in Chicago, and continue to buy one and get one free in Tenuta's back wine cellar in Kenosha. I simmered the liquid on medium heat until it reduced by half, then let it cool off the burner.
I had a quart sized pan of salted water on to boil, and to that I eyeballed about 3/4 c. of orzo and stirred it frequently to prevent sticking. Meanwhile, my salmon had been lightly marinated in a drizzle of olive oil and pepper and my grill pan was heating on medium with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking.
My salmon went on, about four minutes each side for nice grill marks. If it won't flip easily, it's not ready on that side. Don't rip it off the grill. As the liquid cooled, I added under half a stick of butter, unsalted and let it ooze into the liquid, stirring a few times. My orzo drained, but I did not rinse, because it soaks in the dressing better that way. I returned it to the pan for a few seconds to evaporate any remaining water and then added a few pinches of parsley and a T. of capers or so. I finished it off with most of the lemon butter sauce, tossing thoroughly, and then tightly covering to keep it hot.
I served my seared salmon on a gluttonous mound of lemon butter orzo, and drizzled the remaining butter sauce on the salmon. To round it out, I added a slice of pita bread and some humus. The vino was so well paired, I figured I'd have a glass to finish the meal off right, even if I am on prescription cough syrup. I will sleep well tonight, with a full belly and happy taste buds.
I got home at 6:10 and was done doing the dishes at 6:55, but then I was only trying to impress myself. The dogs did beg for a taste of salmon or at least some butter, but I only gave them each an ice cube for patiently waiting.
It's no so glamourous to eat in the kitchen, at the island while watching Chris Matthews, but a girl's gotta eat a nice meal sometimes even when her only company amounts to two canines wishing they had more that Pedigree to eat.

2 comments:

Goeb Life said...

I just added your blog to my google reader.....I love the idea of a food blog...

Dana said...

I saw that, you were quick, Jenna! I thought it'd be a cool idea too. Thanks for following. :)