Tuesday, December 16, 2008

BLS - Bacon, Lettuce and Shrimp


I didn't have tomatoes tonight and it's snowing, again, so I didn't want to stop to buy them on the way home. I was googling Charlie's Bar in Aruba to find something from a friend's honeymoon that she shared with me, and I came across a picture on a menu of a shrimp BLT. I love BLTs and I love shrimp, so I wanted one.


I cooked up four slices of bacon, but I really only needed three, so I ate the fourth as an appetizer. Bonus! I thawed four jumbo shrimp and peeled them. They're already deveined. Do that if yours aren't. I seasoned them in some California-style garlic powder, a little hot sauce...ok a lot of hot sauce, and some salt and pepper, and then sauteed them in a little olive oil until done, just done. Overcooked shrimp are like eating erasers, so be delicate with them. They have built in thermometers. When they are pink, they're done. Really, they are.


Meanwhile, I toasted my whole wheat white slices, got out my canola mayo (Hellmann's is the only product I will use for this and my regular stuff was nearing expiration, so I used the canola one, which has only 45 calories per serving, another bonus!) and spread that liberally on my toast. I don't like mayo, but I love it on BLTs, or BLSs as it were. Usually I season my mayo by chopping up some garlic and tomato and mixing it together, but I don't have tomatoes, and I already had garlic on the shrimp. Enough with the garlic already!


I had Italian lettuce blend in the frig, so after I neatly arranged my bacon and shrimp on top of my yummy mayo, I added a stack of Italian blend salad mix to top it off with a healthy touch and some texture.


I served it with some Fritos. I like them. They're somewhat mysterious, but I eat them every once in a while. They can't be good for me, I know, but neither is bacon or mayo...and shrimp have cholesterol. Darn!

No comments: