Monday, February 15, 2010

Egg Salad

Who posts a recipe for egg salad?  I would think this is a no-brainer to make, but I wonder if maybe there is someone out there who has no idea how to make egg salad.  David asked for a bowl of it for lunch this week.



You will need:

10 - 12 hard boiled eggs
1 c. mayonaise
1 t. yellow mustard
salt
pepper

diced pickles, optional
chopped celery, optional
sliced olives, optional

I'm sure the possibilities are endless with kicked up egg salad.  I like to add olives or pickles to it myself.  However, David doesn't like either, and I made him a batch of basic egg salad with no frills for work this week.

Cover your eggs in cold water in a medium sauce pan.  Salt the water.  (Supposedly this helps with peeling.  I have not proven this, but I do it anyway.)  Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat to medium and boil for 8-10 minutes.  Then turn off the heat and let stand to cool slightly for 10 more minutes.  Peel immediately or completely cooled eggs will be difficult to peel.

Dice your peeled eggs whatever size you prefer.  I did a smaller dice.  Put them in a bowl.  Salt them and then dust them with fresh ground pepper and toss.

In a separate bowl, mix your mayo (I use the canola based one for no cholesterol) and mustard until creamy and incorporated.  Slightly salt and pepper to taste.  Pour over the eggs in the larger bowl and carefully mix until the eggs are coated with mayo dressing.

Chill and serve.  Or, you can eat it warm.

I served mine on Oat Nut bread.

No comments: