Friday, February 12, 2010

52 Comment French Fries

By very popular demand, I am posting a home made French Fry recipe.  I said I was making them at home on Facebook and I had a comment explosion asking how to do it, and discussing the correct method of making them.  It's very simple.



You will need:

Potatoes, preferably Russets, julienned (peeling optional)
Oil (I use canola, but the traditional method is duck fat, and you can use whatever you prefer)
Salt

For mine, I did not peel them, but sometimes I do.  I scrubbed them, then julienned them into thin strips.  I like long, skinny fries.  In a high walled skillet (you can use a deep fryer if you have one) I heated a few cups of oil until a test fry bubbled when I dropped it in.  You want it very hot, but not so hot it overboils when you drop them in.  

Oh, and make sure your fries are not soaking wet or you could cause a grease fire from overflowing the oil.  Pat them dry before putting them in the oil.  If the oil bubbles up too much when you drop in a test fry, turn down the heat slightly.

Drop in only enough fries so that they have room to cook without being crowded in the amount of oil you have in the pot.  I did a handful at a time.  Stir them around just a little, and gently, a few times as they cook so they don't stick together, and only cook them half way.  Then remove them to a towel to dry.  When they are all done, you can prep your main dish if you have one or take a break if you need to.  If you don't have a main dish, then proceed to the second frying stage.

Make sure the oil is to temperature again with a test fry, and then drop a handful of the par-fried potatoes.  Let them cook until golden brown and remove them with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined basket or dish and immediately salt them to taste.  If you wait to salt them they will not hold the salt.  

When you finish cooking the last handful, enjoy either alone or with a main course.  They are also good with a sprinkling of malt vinegar and some folks like them with ketchup.  I prefer them just plain with salt.

No comments: