Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pastina

An elderly Italian woman I used to know taught me how to make this dish after I passed out at her house from low blood sugar and when I felt a little better on the couch, she brought me a bowl of pastina.  When I asked her what it was, she said, "Just eat it.  My mama used to make it for me when I was not feeling well.  It's an Italian remedy broth, a comfort food." 

I wasn't sure, but I ate it and it was good.  It's very simple to make because it's mostly water and pasta.  It does make you feel better when you don't feel well. 




To make 2 servings, you will need:

3 c. water
1 c. pastina, acini de pepe works best
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
salt to taste
1 small bunch fresh, flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 eggs, scrambled in a bowl

In a small sauce pan, bring the water to a boil with the butter, oil, salt and parsley.  The parsley will color the water greenish.  Drop the pasta into rapidly boiling water (slowly so it doesn't over boil), and stir.  When the pasta is just about al dente, drizzle the egg into the boiling mixture slowly, stirring to make egg rags in the broth.

Boil softly for another 2 or 3 minutes to make sure the egg is done.  Remove from heat and let stand a few minutes.  Serve in large bowls when someone feels under the weather, or needs a little comforting.  I'm hooked on it now and don't even make chicken soup for those days anymore.

1 comment:

Goeb Life said...

I made this last week when I was sick....easy and good!