Thursday, January 7, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes Emeril

I got this recipe out of my new From Emeril's Kitchens book that David bought me this Christmas.  On New Year's Eve, I made us the ribeyes from the recipe below and these scalloped potatoes, both out of the book.  I have to tell you, I think these potatoes are the best potatoes I've ever had, no exaggeration, but they are not low fat!  You can't eat these every day.  Here is my version of the recipe:




You will need:

1 quart heavy whipping cream or whipping cream.
3 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced a little thick
8 oz Swiss cheese, grated
2 T butter
salt
pepper

Peel the potatoes and then slice them thicker than if you were going to fry them.  Place them in a medium sauce pan and pour the cream over them.  Set the flame to medium and slowly bring them to a light, rolling boil.  Simmer them on a low boil until they are slightly fork tender. 

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a deep, oven proof casserole with nonstick spray.  Crisco spray doesn't leave a film on your cookware.

Transfer a ladle full of potatoes to the casserole, creating a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish, about 1/3 of the potatoes and cream.  Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese evenly on top.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Repeat another layer of each, and then another layer until you use up all the potatoes and cheese.  Finally, dab little pieces of butter over the top of the casserole for nice, bubbly browning.

Transfer the dish into the oven for 30-45 minutes until bubbly and brown on top.  Remove from the oven and cover with foil to set up for 5-10 minutes before serving.  It will remain hot for some time.

All I can say is OMG.  The other bonus is they reheat well.  I reheated them for breakfast and made a side of eggs with them, and then the next day I made another breakfast of Tortilla Espanola with them to use them up.  This is a new guilty pleasure or a "sometimes food".

No comments: