Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Use it up" Three Berry Tart




I had puff pastry in my freezer for a while, and it doesn't keep that long, so I decided I had to thaw it and do something with it. I've always been this way, but in this economy especially, rather than waste things that may spoil, I try to keep a good eye on what I have in the frig and freezer and use what is on hand while it's still fresh. It keeps me creative and it cuts down on wasting food, because throwing away ingredients is like throwing away dollar bills.

I put one sheet in an oven safe tart dish and baked it at 375 for 15 minutes. Then I "defrosted" on low 1/3 c of blackberry preserves and spread it all over the baked pastry. Next, I drained a can of blueberries in juice (not the pie kind in jelly) and about the same amount of raspberries that I also had frozen for a bit in the freezer, rinsed them well, and then arranged them evenly over the preserves. I dropped small spoons full of cream cheese every so often over that.

In a small saucepan, I melted 2 T of brown sugar and 2 T butter together, and combined it well. Then I drizzled it over the entire pastry topping. I cut the other sheet of puff pastry into thin strips and overlapped them into a lattice crust on top of the tart. I drizzled a hint of water with my fingers over the crust and then dusted it with sugar to give it a glisten and sweetness.

I baked the tart at 375 for 25 minutes until nicely browned and puffed up, with the fruit bubbling through the lattice.

OMG - this is good! It reminds me of the blueberry popovers my mom used to make me when I was little. If I can just think of how to make the frosting she used to put on them I'll be golden to make those next time.

This is a great alternative to pie, and an easier version than an actual pie. It's fantastic with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. Large enough for 8 or so servings. Heavenly.

Due to technical difficulties, I'll post a photo soon. Darn camera won't connect...

3 comments:

Goeb Life said...

No Pics??

Goeb Life said...

Sounds YUMMY!

Dana said...

Yes, Jenna, I finally got the pics up tonight! Sorry, something happened to my camera usb cord. Thanks to my new laptop, I can just put the card in. It was really good. We ate it all!