Tuesday, August 18, 2009

St. Louis Style BBQ Ribs






Ooops, I forgot the photos load in reverse for some silly reason.

I made these ribs with a dry rub that I made up, based on reading several good recipes and deciding what I'd like mine to taste like. My dry rub included about a cup of brown sugar, maybe a little more, T. ground chikory coffee, T. Hungarian Paprika, 2 t. Cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic salt, grated lemon zest from one lemon, and T. cumin, I think.

I prepped the ribs by trimming them of as much fat as I could get off with a sharp filet knife. I also peeled off the membrane on the back of the ribs. This makes it easier to eat them and it helps them achieve that fall off the bone doneness that we all want in ribs. Then I rubbed them down completely with the dry rub, covered them on a platter and refrigerated them overnight.

About one hour before I was ready to cook them I took them out of the frig to achieve room temperature. This relaxes the meat and holds in some of the juiciness and allows for even cooking when you let the meat hit the heat. Then I preheated the oven to 350 and put them flat, side by side on a baking sheet that I lined twice with foil and sprayed with Crisco olive oil spray so they won't stick.

I put the ribs in the oven for 10 minutes on each side at 350, to brown them off a bit. Then I took them out of the oven, reduced the heat to 250, and tented the ribs with foil, pretty tightly (meaning close to the meat without touching it) so that the steam will stay inside the foil and cook the meat slowly, tenderizing it.

These babies went for about four hours 20 minutes before we just couldn't wait anymore and we enjoyed them very much. They were not quite falling apart, but parts of them were fall off the bone and the rest were tender and tasty. They could have gone another 30-60 minutes if you want the total fall off the bone effect. We like them as they were. This particular set of ribs was super meaty and I think that's what took them so long. Just 3 or 4 ribs and I was full.

I served them with a side of BBQ sauce for David, because he loved the flavor of the dry rub but he likes his ribs wet. I just heated that up for him and he could paste it on as he ate. I ate mine dry, and they were less messy and just as tasty that way. I also served corn muffins, corn on the cob and baked beans. It was a messy and tasty dinner!

No comments: